More than $60 million invested in the hospitals to benefit patients and the community
Providence Medical Center and Saint John Hospital are marking a significant 10-year milestone as members of Prime Healthcare, an award-winning national health system with 45 acute-care hospitals and more than 300 outpatient locations in 14 states.
As part of Prime’s mission of saving hospitals, saving jobs and saving lives, the health system successfully transformed the two struggling community hospitals into valuable community assets within six months.
“We are honored to celebrate Prime Healthcare’s 10-year ownership of Providence Medical Center and Saint John’s Hospital with investments in technology and equipment that ultimately benefit the patients and families we serve,” said Paryus Patel, MD, Prime Healthcare’s Chief Medical Officer, Region IV. “With immediate infrastructure improvements such as new roofs and signage at Providence and a new Emergency Department at Saint John, Prime demonstrated our commitment to the hospitals, patients, and communities served by these hospitals.”
Prime has continued its support, opening a new Wound Care Center at Providence and expanding outpatient services at Saint John, including adding more physician specialists, an Urgent Care and collaboration with an ambulatory surgery center so patients can feel confident in receiving expert care, close to home. Additional building improvements and department upgrades have made both facilities more efficient, comfortable, and safe for staff and patients.
“In addition to a re-energized staff when Prime purchased our facilities, we felt a true spirit of collaboration in 2013 when we became part of Prime Healthcare,” said Karen Orr, CEO of Providence Medical Center. “The improvements brought joy to the staff and indicated a true commitment to continue serving the healthcare needs of the Wyandotte County and surrounding areas.”
“Flipping that on switch was not only fun, but it was also a symbol of community partnership that we will be here for decades to come, serving all patients and their healthcare needs,” Orr added.
According to Saint John CEO Wes Hoyt, as the sole community hospital in the Leavenworth, Lansing and Fort Leavenworth communities, Saint John continues to see significant growth and opportunities. “With a focus providing clinically excellent care, we will continue to grow and evolve to meet community needs. We are excited to celebrate the past ten years and look forward to the future as we focus on delivering a lifetime of care.”
Hoyt added, “As the first civilian hospital in Kansas, we strive to be the first in quality, outcomes, service and value for our community.”
Providence Medical Center Award-Winning Care
Providence received an “A” grade on the 2023-24 Lown Institute Hospitals Index for Social Responsibility. Providence achieved this honor through strong performance across metrics of health equity, patient outcomes, and value of care, out of more than 3,600 hospitals nationwide.
Providence has received a five-star rating from The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). The star award is given based on metrics such as mortality, readmission, patient safety and patient experience. The hospital is fully accredited by The Joint Commission (TJC). Providence is also nationally recognized in multiple service lines, receiving 18 awards with eight Five-Star ratings, according to research released by Healthgrades.
Providence has received numerous other recognitions from Healthgrades, including:
- Recipient of the Healthgrades 2023 Coronary Intervention Excellence Award ™
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Coronary Interventional Procedures in 2023
- Five-Star Recipient for Coronary Interventional Procedures in 2023
- Five-Star Recipient for Pacemaker Procedures for 6 Years in a Row (2018-2023)
- Orthopedics Recipient of the Healthgrades Orthopedic Surgery Excellence Award ™ for 6 Years in a Row (2018-2023)
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Orthopedic Services for 6 Years in a Row (2018-2023)
- Five-Star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment for 7 Years in a Row (2017-2023)
- Five-Star Recipient for Spinal Fusion Surgery for 17 Years in a Row (2007-2023)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pneumonia for 7 Years in a Row 2017-2023)
- Gastrointestinal Recipient of the Healthgrades 2023 Gastrointestinal Surgery Excellence Award ™
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Gastrointestinal Surgery in 2023
- Five-Star Recipient for Gallbladder Removal Surgery for 8 Years in a Row (2016-202)
- Critical Care Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Sepsis for 8 Years in a Row (2016-2023)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Diabetic Emergencies for 2 Years in a Row (2022-2023)
- Surgical Care Recipient of the Healthgrades Surgical Care Excellence Award ™ for 2 Years in a Row (2022-2023)
- Named Among the Top 10% of Hospitals in the Nation for Surgical Care for 2 Years in a Row (2022-2023)
- Patient Safety Recipient of the Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award ™ for 6 Years in a Row (2017-2022)
- Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Patient Safety for 6 Years in a Row (2017-2022)
Other awards and recognitions Providence has received in past years include:
- Providence received an “A” For Patient Safety (Fall 2022) as a Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade
- Hospital is fully accredited by The Joint Commission (TJC)
- Laboratory is fully accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP)
- Imaging services accredited by the American College of Radiology
- Three-year term of accreditation by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) in Echocardiography in the area(s) of Adult Transesophageal, Adult Stress, and Adult Transthoracic
- American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation Accreditation 2022
- Chest Pain Accreditation from the Society of Chest Pain Centers 2020-2023
Saint John Hospital Award-Winning Care
Saint John Hospital has received a five-star rating from The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). The star award is given based on metrics such as mortality, readmission, patient safety and patient experience. The hospital is fully accredited by The Joint Commission (TJC).
Saint John is also nationally recognized in pulmonary and critical care services and received two Five-Star ratings according to research released by Healthgrades.
Those awards and recognitions include:
- Recipient of the Healthgrades 2023 Pulmonary Care Excellence Award
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Pulmonary Services in 2023
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pneumonia in 2023
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Sepsis – 6 Years in a Row (2018-2023)
- Saint John Laboratory Services are fully accredited by The Joint Commission (TJC)
- Saint John Imaging Services are accredited by the American College of Radiology (ACR)
- Saint John received an “A” Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade for the spring of 2022. The Hospital received an “A” grade for two years in a row.
During the hospitals’ tenure with Prime, the hospitals have also marked other significant milestones. Providence, which opened in 1920, celebrated 100 years of service in 2020. Saint John, the first hospital to open in the state of Kansas in 1864, will celebrate 160 years of service in 2024.