(Ontario, CA, October 20, 2016) – Prime Healthcare’s 15 California hospitals have achieved a total of 87 5-star achievements and 14 Specialty Excellence Awards from Healthgrades, the leading online resource helping consumers make informed decisions about their care.
Prime Healthcare hospitals achieved a variety of distinctions that span across multiple procedures and conditions including treatment of heart attack and heart failure, orthopedic surgery, and critical care including the treatment of sepsis. From 2013-2015, if all hospitals as a group performed similarly to hospitals receiving 5-stars from Healthgrades, on average 223,412 lives could potentially have been saved and 162,215 complications could potentially have been avoided.
“I am very proud of our clinical teams for these achievements,” said Prem Reddy, MD, Chairman, President & CEO of Prime Healthcare. “According to Healthgrades, these recognitions place our hospitals among the best in the nation, and this is a goal we strive for because it’s what our patients need and deserve. These accolades are just some of the many awards that recognize Prime Healthcare’s superior patient care, quality, outcomes and patient safety.”
Prime Healthcare hospitals are often the only facilities in their markets or statewide to receive this national recognition. For example, Alvarado Hospital is the only hospital in California to achieve the America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery™ and for Spine Surgery four years in a row (2014-2017). Desert Valley Hospital, in Victorville, CA, was the only hospital in San Bernardino County to achieve a 5-star rating two years in a row for the treatment of stroke (2016-2017).
In addition, Prime Healthcare hospitals in other markets across the United States have achieved the following:
- Harlingen Medical Center, Harlingen, TX – One of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery™ for four Years in a Row (2014-2017)
- Providence Medical Center in Kansas City, KS – One of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for General Surgery™ in 2017
- Roxborough Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA – Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Attack in 2017
- Garden City Hospital, Garden City, MI – Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Sepsis in 2017
These achievements are part of new findings and data released by Healthgrades and are featured in the Healthgrades 2017 Report to the Nation. Every year, Healthgrades evaluates hospital performance at nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 34 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions. A 5-star rating indicates that a hospital’s clinical outcomes are statistically and significantly better than expected when treating the condition or performing the procedure being evaluated. And a Specialty Excellence Award
places the hospital in the top 10% in the nation as measured by volume-weighted performance according to this year’s evaluation.
“We are consistently working to systematize our quality improvement efforts, and I congratulate our California hospitals for these Healthgrades clinical achievements,” said Sunny Bhatia, MD, Chief Medical Officer for Prime Healthcare’s California hospitals. “Success requires a team effort. We are fully committed to delivering high quality and compassionate care, ultimately ensuring that our patients’ needs and expectations are not only met but exceeded.”
Prime Healthcare’s 15 California hospitals include:
- Shasta Regional Medical Center, Redding, CA
- La Palma Intercommunity Hospital, La Palma, CA
- Encino Hospital Medical Center, Encino, CA
- San Dimas Community Hospital, San Dimas, CA
- Glendora Community Hospital, Glendora, CA
- Montclair Hospital Medical Center, Montclair, CA
- Desert Valley Hospital Victorville, CA
- Sherman Oaks Hospital, Sherman Oaks, CA
- Centinela Hospital Medical Center, Inglewood, CA
- West Anaheim Medical Center, Anaheim, CA
- Chino Valley Medical Center, Chino, CA
- Garden Grove Hospital Medical Center, Garden Grove, CA
- Huntington Beach Hospital, Huntington Beach, CA
- Alvarado Hospital Medical Center, San Diego, CA
- Paradise Valley Hospital, National City, CA
The complete Healthgrades 2017 Report to the Nation and detailed study methodology, can be found at www.healthgrades.com/quality.